REPORT: Cork City 1-0 Dundalk

15th November 2023

Cork City secured their second home victory in a week as they defeated Champions Dundalk 1-0 at Turner’s Cross on Friday night. The Leesiders' ended a five-month wait for a win on home soil last Friday evening when they beat U.C.D 3-2 to secure the

Cork City moved three points clear at the top of the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division as they defeated Dundalk 1-0 at Turners Cross on Friday evening.

A superbly taken finish from Gearoid Morrissey on the hour mark was enough the see the Champions earn the victory that sees them move out on their own at the top of the standings.

City began the game the better side and they created the game’s first opportunity after eight minutes but Graham Cummins could only fire his shot wide of the far top right corner from the edge of the area.

Dundalk soon grew into the game and they were inches away from taking the lead in the 21st minutes but Daniel Cleary’s flick header from Michael Duffy’s delivery struck the base of the far post.

Duffy went close himself direct from a free-kick moments later but he was denied by Mark McNulty at his near post and the winger was unfortunate to see a shot curl just wide of the bottom right corner for what proved to be the final chance of the first half.

Dundalk continued to create the better of the openings at the beginning of the second period with Jamie McGrath poking an effort just wide of the near post from close range. And City would finally break the deadlock in the 59th minute as Morrissey found the net with a sweetly struck volley.

Substitute Garry Buckley drilled a shot against the crossbar from a few yards but after Barry McNamee kept the attack alive and Dundalk defender Daniel Cleary could only half clear his line, Morrissey drove his controlled effort past Rogers from the edge of the area.

Dundalk pressed for an equaliser with both John Mountney and Ronan Murray striking from distance late on but they failed to find the net as City hung on for the win.